Saturday, August 15, 2009

The First Cut is the Deepest

First of all I want to say thank you to all of you for reading about my blog. I hope that it is of some interest. I can't say that I am the most fascinating of writers but I will do my best to convey what I am doing here in the most riveting way I can!


I have officially been in Norway for 6 days! It has been a stressful week but it has had many high points as well.

Stress factors inlcude:
1. missing all the people I love back home!

2. not knowing anyone the first few days, obviously. Everyone in the hostel it seems is either from Germany or France and brought all their friends with them for the semester. I am one of few Americans.

3. Everything is expensive! it is about 11 dollars for a decent beer and 6 for a bad one. The good thing at least is that Norway has very few alcoholics. Going out for dinner is also very expensive. About 1.5 times as much in the U.S. I plan to try to stay in to eat as much as possible but it is difficult to say no when nice people you are trying to become friends with invite you out.


Things that you don't think about before moving to another country:

1. you don't have sheets, blankets, pots, pans, cups, plates, salt and pepper. All of you back home don't take these precious gifts for granted.

2. Cell phones are a gift and a curse. They are of the great convenience when you have one. when you do not, it is impossible to find an available land line!!


But of course there have been a lot of good things too:

1. Everyone here is extremely friendly. The other students are very friendly and up for hanging out and getting to know people. It is apparent that students here value having a strong sense of community. This is very exciting for me especially coming from the University of Minnesota where there is virtually none. There is a student organization that welcomes all the new students called SIB. they have organized a bunch of different outings for all of us newbies. On Tuesday there was a scavenger hunt around the city and then free pizza! Emphasis on free. nothing is free here so you have to get while the gettin' is good! Last night they took us out for a pub crawl to show us all the best places to go out for a beer. But beer is so expensive I have a feeling I won't be doing that often. It was fun though and good way to get to know people. the norwegians here speak english beautifully and it has been very easy to communicate with them. Many of them ask why I came here though as if they cannot imagine why anyone would choose to live in Norway. Being from MN I can understand why you would wonder. I would often ask exchange students the same thing. But really this is a pretty great place to live. Free health care, free school, beautiful clean environment and friendly people. And luckily for me a wonderful orchestra right next door to my school!

2. It is absolutely gorgeous here!! I have never been in a city with more natural beauty surrounding it. The whole city is surrounded by mountains, covered with trees and is right on the sea! Who could ask for more?! The city itself is also very charming. The classic cobblestone streets, and buildings with colorful tiled roofs. Rain is a constant presence but it adds to the city's charm, at least for now :)

I start class on August 28th. unil then I will be keeping busy with a few different things. The school needs people to sing in a choir for a performance next week. And by need they are asking me so they must be desperate. Not sure if I am going to be asset or a detriment to the quality of that performance. We'll see how it goes. I also have been asked to play in a well renowned wind band. Apparently it is the best one in Norway!Rehearsal for that starts next Tuesday. And of course practicing and making reeds is a given. I am excited for things to really get going a little more next week. Now that the "getting to know you" part is winding down it will probably mean more playing and practicing.

That is all for now. I am sure there will be more to come soon. Stay tuned!

Love to you all!

7 comments:

  1. You know, the title of this post is the name of the Cat Stevens song I was trying to remember when we were home on a holiday recently... we kept playing Cat Stevens songs but we just never arrived at this one.

    Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You've made it through the first week! Glad to hear you are settling in. Congrats on the special group. I hope you get some recordings of what you are playing so those of us left back in the states can become " more edumacated". When do you think you you will be back to visit? Keep us up to date. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figuratively, as in I posted before her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Racheal, Ruth Goins (your cousin) forwarded the email with notification of your blog. You should be so proud to be taking the risk and challenge of following your dreams! Good for you, going to Norway by yourself is huge. I love reading about the scenes. It sounds lovely. Auntie Nancy (married to Uncle Walter).

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! The milk chocolate there is also expensive but worth it. ;)

    ReplyDelete