Monday, March 8, 2010

Girls Gone Wild: BERGEN?

Hello!
As you can see below I have posted several pictures, however, due to my limited blogging skills I was having some trouble putting captions underneath to indicate what exactly is going on which is sometimes not so clear. I may go back and try to figure out the formatting, but for now I will just say that Em came to visit me and we did a lot! We went to several museums including the science museum which is where the silliest pictures were taken(i.e ball floating in my hand, and me jumping a rope courtesy of a very cute robot), saw Danish bohemians perform with puppets, hung out with penguins,went up a mountain on a small train, posed with large gnomes, and ate a lot of bread and cheese. Many games of scrabble were played and on my side mostly lost. It was a good time.

The museums were pretty rad. Saw some modern art, old viking ships, learned about Antarctica expeditions, Darwin´s five year excursion to the Galapagos Islands and beyond(apparently he left from a Norwegian port and one of the turtle specimens taken c.1830 just died in 2006!) and Norway´s vast fishing and shipping industry. I have to give Em credit in that she did an excellent job finding fun things to do.

The current exhibit at the modern art museum was interesting. It was entirely Norwegian artists from the 1980s. A lot of video performance art, and large textural paintings but there were many mediums used. I for one do not have much knowledge about art but this is one of the better exhibits I have seen here in terms of variety and experimentation.

Overall it was a really great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment