Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pushing Up the Hill

HELLO!
It´s been awhile and I thought I should make sure that I don´t lose my momentum in the blogging business.

What have I been up to these days???
For one thing the weather has been amazingly beautiful here. I know I talk about the weather in every blog but it really has a profound effect on how the city looks. Plus it was raining so much for weeks straight it is wonderful that it has been sunny and dry for almost two weeks straight! I have been trying to take advantage of it by walking around and getting my daily dose of vitamin D. The colors are amazing and remind me of autumn in MN.
Em´s visit was really nice. We went hiking through the mountains and saw the sights. it was really good to have her here. She got sick unfortunately but we still had fun.
On the bassoon front, I am making progress. Right now I am working on pushing more air through my instrument at all times along with articulation, vibrato, and just generally being more expressive. MORE MORE MORE!!! It´s hard work but Per is a really good teacher and encouraging. honest but encouraging. He tells me not to worry about making a fool of myself but to be crazy and put more of myself into the music. Also he says I have twice the sound I had a few weeks ago so I am heading in the right direction!
Tonight I am heading out to see the Philharmonic play Brahms 4th Symphony and the Barber Violin Concerto. Should be a good concert. I am so fortunate that I know people in the orchestra so I can go for free! Thanks Corinne!
This weekend will be busy. I have my first gig in Norway! I am playing a Mendelssohn Oratorio at a church. We have rehearsal Friday night, Saturday morning and then we perform Saturday and Sunday night. I´m excited. I hope it goes well and is a good experience.
Only about two months of the semester left. I feel like I have a lot to accomplish. A lot of research and practicing!!!
I also wanted to say thanks to my Dad for the pep talk he gave me the other day. It meant a lot. It really is a special time in your life to be a student!

No comments:

Post a Comment